The first building in 1945.
In the mid nineteen-fifties Mauritius already had a small airport. Due to
its strategic geographical position it gained momentum during the Second World
War and was used extensively by the Royal Air Force.
Airside View in 1986
The Plaisance Airport, as it was called at that time, further developed to accommodate
wide-bodied aircraft. A new building with aerobridge facilities was built to
cater for the planned increase in traffic growth. Later in 1987 the airport
was renamed Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport.
As a result of the continued rapid growth in airport activities,
the airport went through a number of infrastructural changes to take hold of
business opportunities and to provide facilities, which met the aspirations
of stakeholders. SSRIA has been once more the scene of major developments as
from 1999-2000. Further developments and extension projects in line with our airport master plan, are underway.